My Favorite Takeaways - PA Conference for Women October 31 2018
On October 12, I had the amazing opportunity to attend and join over 10,000 other women at the Pennsylvania Conference for Women as a member of the press. It was the quintessential scene to get inspired, empowered, and learn how to be the best, most powerful version of myself.
10,000+ went to the 2018 event. Photo by Marla Aufmuth/Getty Images
Ecstatic to be at the conference.
Below are my favorite speakers and takeaways highlighted:
- Amanda Southworth— 16-year-old mental health and LBGTQ activist
- We have a responsibility to destroy what oppresses us or those less fortunate than us.
- If one is not part of the solution, he or she is part of the problem.
- Amal Clooney— keynote speaker, international human rights activist/lawyer
- Vote, elect good leaders, and become good leaders.
- Stand up for injustices.
- Take the road less traveled and take the one that feels most authentic.
- Her motivator is thinking about what she will tell her kids what she did during this time when they grow up.
Amal Clooney, Photo by Marla Aufmuth/Getty Images
- Zaniya Lewis— Young Women’s Program presenter, college student, and founder of YesSheCanCampaign
- Surround yourself with diverse and passionate people. Be around those who go above and beyond and don’t want to be average.
- To keep yourself on track to success, think about what you want to give to the world, how you are going to inspire others, and what you want to be remembered for.
- Dani Rylan— Young Women’s Program presenter, founder of the National Women’s Hockey League
- Be confident in the brand you’re building.
- To create opportunities for yourself, believe passionately in what you’re doing and have enough grit to push through rejections, doubts, and challenges.
- Valerie Smith— Young Women’s Program presenter, Swarthmore College President
- Speaking up means showing up and using your voice to advocate for yourself, your causes, and those who can’t.
- Trusting yourself is the first step in claiming yourself and your voice; YOU have the final say in determining who you are and what you can do.
- “Walk towards opportunities that frighten you. Don’t let fear get in the way. Not all risks result in successful outcomes. But failing at things does not make you a failure.”
- “You don’t make right decisions. You make decisions right.” Once you’ve settled on a choice, make it right by meeting new people, changing and improving things, and taking advantage of everything possible.
- Serena Williams— keynote speaker, world-renowned tennis player, activist & philanthropist
Serena Williams, Photo by Marla Aufmuth/Getty Images
- “One positive comment to someone can change the course of his or her life.”
- “The success of one woman should be an inspiration to the next.”
- “Humility makes you great.”
- Amber Rae— author
- Eliminate toxic worry and choose wonder through the three C’s: courage, curiosity, & compassion.
- “Don’t die with your gifts still inside.”
I will never forget my time at the PA Conference for Women. After such an incredible day of being surrounded by intelligent, successful, empowered, and supportive women, I felt proud to be a girl. I felt inspired to make use of myself and not sit back and watch what’s happening today, but rather do everything I can to make a difference. After all, today’s young women are tomorrow’s leaders.
My mom has been an attendee for many years in the past... this year I finally joined her!